Grilled Romaine Hearts
Saw this in a mag a couple of years ago. Sort of like grilled Ceaesar if you use parmesan cheese.
!/2 Romaine head per diner
Shredded Parmesan cheese or crumbled blue cheese, whatever fits your mood
salt and pepper to taste
your home-made vinagrette (or something like Newman's oil and vinegar)
just keep the vinagrette simple.
fresh tarragon...this is key to spicing up your simple vinagrette
1. Make your vinagrette, add some chopped fresh tarragon. Set aside
2. Wash heads of Romaine, dry thoroughly, then slice in half lengthwise (discard any tough outer leaves)
3. brush cut side of the romaine head with olive oil. sprinkle with salt and pepper
4. heat grill to medium, an place the heads cut side down on the grill.
5. heat for approx 1 to 2 mins, or until the oil leaves a light scorching on the cut side of the romaine (lines of the grill show.)
6. remove from grill, serve cut side up. sprinkle a little lemon juice on the romaine. add your vinagrette and then the cheese of your choice. (if we use balsamic vinagrette blue cheese seems to taste a little better.
yummy. good with a Sauvignon Blanc from Napa or a nice Cotes du Rhone Blanc from southern France.